Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A Reason I like to use Super 8

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    MikeyB, you said one of the things about film you like is it's more the way our eyes see. I hear that. It's a chemical reaction. Our eyes don't convert what we see into electrical signals and transmit via interlace scanning.

    Another interesting difference between the two: Theoretically, you can capture an image on film, develop it, and project it - all without electricity.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I watched a few more of my old reels last night...and while again the acting, script, and sets weren't so good (!), I was so struck with facination at watching it...and I realized, if this were shot on video, I would be watching it, enjoying the memories no doubt, but would be mindful that this was a video...But since it was film, (film in great condition)...and projected, the vivid colors and appearance of the film made me feel more like I was there again reliving it....I guess because film looks more like what our eyes see, rather than just a pictorial record of what happened....one particular close up of one of my friends was really colorful and sharp, made it more real for me...sorry if i'm a bit corny...guess I got that from my scripts I wrote for that film! mike

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Digital is like Soylent Green.

    It gives people food, but it turns people into food to do it. (everyone hopes that Alex NEVER used that in a script)

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Film versus Video is like the difference between paper and the internet. No matter how good the internet is, you probably commit to paper the stories you value the most.

    Paper, and Film, both allow one to see the image sans electricity, by merely holding it anywhere there is sunlight, try that with a computer or a videotape!

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.newenglandfilm.com/news/a...ust/super8.htm

    Here's another link touting the use of super-8.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •